Looking to take that first step onto the Planning career ladder?
Keen to forge a career within a sector that can take you in a variety of directions and offers daily diversity and fresh challenge?
Want to help shape 21st Century living?
Dover District Council are currently seeking an ambitious Trainee Planner to work within their Development Management Team. This is an exciting role that requires the post holder to work methodically to make recommendations on a range of planning applications and other consents. Due to the nature of the role, the postholder will also be expected to acquire a working knowledge of various aspects of planning, including national and local policies which impact on the sector and administrative processes related to planning. In return, we will offer opportunities for career and professional development.
Dover District is a stunning seaside location offering 20 miles of coast line, Areas of Natural Beauty (AONB), and world-famous Heritage. All of this will play a vital part in your decision-making role to ensure that we develop and preserve the district effectively.
Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders is essential; this will include telephone, email, formal written correspondence as well as face to face engagement and the requirement to attend Planning Committee.
There will be lots of opportunity to explore the area as it is essential that development sites are visited for assessment. You will be expected to have excellent time management skills and the ability to manage your own caseload and diary.
This position offers brilliant opportunities for an ambitious individual to develop their experience and progress their career.
In addition to a competitive salary you can expect the following benefits:
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- 22 Days Leave + Bank Holidays + Christmas Closure + increasing holiday allowance to reflect
the length of local government service.
- Private healthcare scheme
- Excellent local government pension scheme with the opportunity for staff make advanced
voluntary contributions to top of their pension
- Pleasant working environment
- Free on-site parking
- Mileage allowance
- Discounted membership of Dover Leisure Centre which is within easy walking distance
- Confidential Employee Advice and Support Programme
- In order to be considered for this role it is essential that you have the following minimum requirements:
- Educated to a good standard - An RTPI accredited first degree would be highly desirable however other qualifications may be considered.
- Proven administrative and analytical background
- Excellent ICT skills; including experience using MS Office and the ability to adopt new systems swiftly
- Own car and driving licence
If you are ambitious and seeking a role that presents challenge, unpredictability and the opportunity to forge a long-term Planning Career this may be the perfect next step.
Please contact Peter Wallace (Development Management Team Leader) on 01304 872462 for more information or for an informal discussion
Interviews Date: To be confirmed