Havering is the most eastern London borough, bordered by Essex to the North and East, the River Thames to the South and the boroughs of Redbridge and Barking & Dagenham to the West. It's one of the largest boroughs in Greater London with a population of 226,000, over 7,000 businesses and an area approaching 40 square miles.
As a council, we value our people and know that through investing in their development we can attract and retain the very best talent. We are a council that people want to work for and one in which you will have the opportunity to thrive and maximise your contribution and career potential.
Public Protection Programme Manager - Climate Action & Air Quality- (12 month Fixed Term Contract)
Grade 9- £44,607 to £48,492
This is initially a 12 month fixed term contract as a Public Protection Programme Manager focusing on climate change and local air quality management set at
This is an exciting and new role bringing together current work being done and where we need to go next to ensure Havering ‘leads the way’ in environmental policy. This means reducing local air quality, climate action and adaptation, becoming carbon neutral, promoting green infrastructure, waste minimisation and creating a sustainable borough.
To be eligible for this role you will need to be a UK national or permitted to work in the UK, and be able to provide all of the documents we need to complete your pre-employment screening
We are looking for someone who:
- Has excellent interpersonal skills
- Is flexible, adaptable and creative in solving problems and dealing with change with advanced programme management skills.
- Enjoys interacting with colleagues, councillors, the public and key stakeholders,
- Has demonstrated leadership ability with high level of emotional intelligence
- Is outcome focussed and able to meet challenging deadlines and
- Will ensure cohesive working with all relevant stakeholders engaged.
- Coordinate and Chair working parties/board meetings,
- Prepare written reports,
- Represent the council at meetings and forums,
- Coordinate stakeholder focus/working groups for air quality and climate change initiatives.
- Monitor and deliver a programme of projects for both areas ensuring milestones are met within time and budget.
- Ensure an effective communications strategy is delivered so that residents are kept informed on AQ issues to influence behaviour change.
- Use of persuasion skills to obtain “buy in” from members, residents and other key stakeholders.
- Manage the relevant budgets relating to this role identifying further investment opportunities.
The London Borough of Havering is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Havering Redeployees.
The London Borough of Havering is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
Please note the CV's will not be accepted
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Help Desk on: 01708 432770
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Louise Watkinson, Group Manager Public Protection on 01708 432771.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 22nd December 2019. Please note, however, that interest in this job may be high and we therefore reserve the right to close the vacancy early.
You will be notified if your application has been successful. Interviews are scheduled w/c 27th January 2020.