Hours of work: 37 hours per week
Working pattern: Full-time
Closing date: Sunday 19 January 2020
For an informal discussion, please contact Neil Bradley - Programme Manager on 07860 418890.
Head of HR Operations/Shared Services
Orbis is a partnership providing professional and back office services to Surrey County Council, East Sussex County Council, and Brighton City Council in order that high quality services are provided with economies of scale offering better value for residents.
Within Orbis, Business Operations is a shared service centre providing services for payroll, transactional HR, recruitment and Finance, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Banking, Procurement, and Pensions administration. We employ over 300 people across Surrey, East Sussex, and Brighton. We have a £11m gross budget but through trading our services we are able to bring in over £7m in income each year meaning we deliver excellent value to our councils.
We are seeking to recruit a Head of HR Operations/Shared Services to lead the HR operational teams across the three council sites in Lewes, Brighton and (currently) Kingston which provide HR services to the three councils, Surrey Fire and Rescue and c. 500 third party clients. These services comprise the HR functions of Payroll, Recruitment, Safeguarding, Employee Services, Organisational Data, HR Helpdesk. As an indicator of scale, we run about 1.25m “payslips” a year. The goals are to provide services with lowest quartile unit costs, top quartile customer service with high quality operational efficiency and service levels.
The successful candidate will have:
- A relevant professional qualification like CIPD, together with training in project management e.g. Prince2;
- Knowledge and understanding of wide range of HR policies and procedures including change management practices and interrelationships between recruitment, HR and payroll activities;
- Expertise and experience of high-level stakeholder and customer management and a high level of knowledge and understanding of the operation of a customer-focused service provision with knowledge and understanding of providing this in a public sector or large complex organisation;
- Extensive and wide ranging operational and strategic management experience in a large and complex organisation preferably Shared Services or outsourced operations;
- Significant experience of people management in a large-scale operation.
The employer will be East Sussex County Council and the job holder will have an office base in Lewes, however this job operates in three workplace and the job holder will, typically spend three days a week in Surrey HQ (currently Kingston upon Thames), one day a week in Brighton, and one day a week in Lewes.
The salary range is c. £65,000 to c. £74,000.