Islington is one of the most vibrant and dynamic parts of London and is experiencing significant growth in housing and employment. The council has adopted ambitious planning policies to ensure that all our communities benefit from this growth whilst protecting and enhancing the borough’s unique character. Enhancing the built environment through high quality design is therefore an important Council objective. Furthermore, Islington’s 41 conservation areas (covering at least 50% of the borough) and over 4,500 statutorily listed buildings, which greatly contribute to the character, economy and community pride of the borough, require careful protection and management of change.
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Design & Conservation Team in the role of Team Manager. The team’s urban design and conservation experts, work to preserve and enhance the borough’s architectural heritage, and contribute to the delivery of high quality new development. Therefore, we are looking for a dynamic, positive and hardworking professional who will be able to assist the team in the delivery of design excellence within Islington’s historic environment and wider townscape by balancing growth, conservation and high quality place making.
Design & Conservation Team Manager
You must demonstrate a commitment to design quality and conservation best practice, working creatively and constructively with planning officers, applicants, other council departments and various stakeholders to ensure that the council’s urban design and conservation aspirations as well as wider planning priorities are delivered.
You must possess strong communication skills with the ability to offer technical critique of complex development proposals, serving as the overseeing Manager with respect of Design and Heritage matters for significant major projects including the council’s ambitious Housing New Build Programme.
To succeed in this role, you will be customer-focused, committed to improving design, recognising and protecting the heritage of the borough and have leadership skills to support the team and the ambitions of the wider service to delivering a high quality service to its customers. The ability to use your initiative to solve problems and find creative solutions is essential as well as having the ability to support the staff within your team to achieve these aims within a busy and demanding service.
You will have the skills and experience to:
- Understand the principles of excellent design and place-making and have experience (or demonstrable ability) to advise on the ability to achieve high quality development within a dense ‘cheek-by-jowl’ context.
- Have a proven track record of applying the statutory and NPPF tests to the preservation and enhancement of conservation areas and listed buildings and supporting others in this aim.
- Work closely and collaboratively with planners and other consultees to deliver the highest quality design and heritage advice.
- Have experience (or demonstrable ability) of leading and supporting the operation of an Independent Design Review Panel, managing its budget and liaising with colleagues in other teams to continually improve its operation, including income generation potential.
- Work well under pressure, manage competing priorities including those of the team you will manage and support the team in meeting tight deadlines.If this is you then we want to hear from you.
- We can offer you a lively, supportive and quality/ results focussed team environment, and the chance to contribute to the transformation of the lives of our residents.
Closing date: Sunday 19 January 2020 at 23.59
Interview/ Testing date: Week commencing 27 January 2020
For further details, please contact Sarah Wilson on 0207 527 2364 or Geraldine Knipe on 0207 527 2010.