Full details - We've set up a dedicated recruitment website for IT and Digital roles, you can learn more about the work we do, our customers, vision, available roles and what it's like to work for us by visiting www.kingston-sutton-digital-jobs.co.uk/
Digital and IT is a shared service between Kingston and Sutton Councils providing digital and technology services to both Councils as well as a number of arm's length companies.
We're committed to delivering great public services that are not only highly effective but also easily accessible. We’ve championed the digitisation of services as well as adopting a ‘mobile first’ model to ensure that this commitment is fulfilled.
Working in the Portfolio team, you’ll be responsible for managing projects to support the delivery of the Digital & IT Programme of work. This role is offered on a fixed term basis for 12 months.
The Project Manager role reports directly to either the Portfolio Manager or a Programme Manager and its main purpose is to:
- Take responsibility for the definition, documentation and safe execution of small, medium and large-scale projects, actively participating in all phases of the project
- Ensure that project deliverables are completed within planned cost, timescale and quality and are signed off
- Monitor costs, timescales and quality, taking action where these deviate from agreed tolerances
- Effectively manage the project budget and ensure proactive and timely communication to the project board of any potential risk to the achievement of the budget
- Identify, assess and manage risks to the success of the project
- Effectively estimate costs, timescales and resource requirements for the successful delivery of the project(s) to agreed terms of reference
- Ensure that realistic project and quality plans are prepared and maintained and track all activities against the plan, providing reports to stakeholders as appropriate
- Manage the project change control procedure and gain and document agreement for revisions to the project(s) from project sponsors
- Carry out project closure and review activities, including the capture and actioning of lessons learned
- Provide effective leadership to the project team, which is likely to be a virtual team with members from across Digital and IT and potentially from the wider organisation Build and maintain relationships with business stakeholders
- Empower the team by creating a supportive environment for team members to excel at their roles and develop their careers within the department and the wider Councils
- Work within the ITIL framework.
In order to successfully deliver the responsibilities of the role, you will need to:
- Have strong leadership skills, modelling a performance culture and constructively building achievement, confidence and skills in others
- Question and challenge conventional thinking, with a continual eye on the bigger picture in terms of the corporate context and external environment Role model agility and adaptability in mindset and ways of working
- Work successfully with key stakeholders including Members, residents, businesses, communities, partner organisations and other public services
- Demonstrate commitment to own personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the role
- Demonstrate a high level of innovation and creativity.
- Experience of managing multiple Digital & IT-related projects concurrently
- Experience of digital product delivery and working with Agile tools and techniques
- An understanding and experience of common project management methodologies such as Agile, PRINCE2, Waterfall - preferably with foundation level qualifications in one or more of these methodologies
- Stakeholder management at a senior level
- Excellent communications skills, in particular, the ability to clearly convey complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Experience in working at a strategic and tactical level to ensure that deliverables meet the business needs of the organisation
- An excellent working knowledge of the main principles, methods, techniques and tools for the effective management of projects from initiation through to implementation. For instance, product/work breakdown structures, baselining, critical path analysis, earned value, resource analysis, conflict resolution
- Experience in risk assessment, including the identification, assessment and management of project risks
- Significant experience in the development of project-related documentation, including Business Cases, Proofs of Concept, Prototyping, Feasibility Studies, Project Initiation Documents, Project Plans, RAID logs, Status Reports, Benefit Realisation, Closure Reports and Post-Implementation Reviews
- Excellent working knowledge of ITIL practices.
Lead and Manager positions
There are a number of roles across the department at Grade I, J or K that are designated as Lead or Manager. These roles have a dual purpose in that they are expected to have specialist knowledge and skill within their own area and also play an active part in the operational management of their team. They will do this by:
- Understanding and supporting the Digital Strategy Working with their line manager and other leads/managers within the team to manage the team workload
- Directly managing a small number of reports and/or managing a virtual team working on a specific task or project
- Managing other resources such as physical or logical technology/software and vendor services
- Providing appropriate analysis and reporting within their area of expertise
- Coaching less senior members of the team both professionally and technically
- Acting as a lead across the department and the wider customer base in promoting, communicating and developing their area of expertise
- Seeking opportunities for innovation and collaboration
- Demonstrating the culture and values on a day-to-day basis.
All Lead and Manager postholders (at grades I, J and K) are expected to be able to deputise for their line manager (typically an L or M grade).
Benefits we offer
Kingston Council has good access to central London and our offices are a short walk from the station based in the middle of the historic and vibrant high street next to the open spaces of the river Thames, offering a wide range of shops, restaurants and leisure facilities; all making for a desirable place to live and work.
The successful candidate will have access to a wide range of staff benefits, some of which include:
- 29 days annual leave - In addition you will receive 8 statutory bank holidays
- Local government pension scheme
- Interest free season loan ticket
- Cycle to work and Zip Car Scheme
- Discounts on a range of local shops, restaurants, gyms and leisure centres
- Comprehensive Learning and Development programme
- A forward thinking and networked organisation where employee’s views are valued.
- Modern and flexible working environment allowing employees to benefit from agile working practices.
Please apply online detailing what experience, skills and abilities you can bring to this role and our IT and Digital Service by visiting www.kingston-sutton-digital-jobs.co.uk/