We are dedicated to high quality relationship-based social work, that is child-centred, family-minded, strengths and evidence-based, outcome-focused and fair.
We are looking for outstanding senior social workers with a passion for direct work, and for supporting others. In return we will support you with training, reflective supervision, clinical advice and support, small teams and caseloads, and administrative support.
Our Children's Services have been rated 'good' by Ofsted for over a decade, and we continue to strive for excellence in our practice and the best possible outcomes for our children and families.
We have a well-embedded practice framework, underpinned by our above principles. We make extensive use of systemic and strengths-based practices, as well as restorative and attachment-informed approaches.
This was noted by Ofsted in 2017 who said "Southwark attracts experienced, high-quality social workers who are keen to work in small units that employ systemic methods… The model is well resourced and features clinical and group supervision alongside manageable caseloads. This promotes influential and effective direct work with children and families. The model is enabling a flourishing social work culture in the local authority, equipping social workers to address complex local concerns in this highly diverse community".
We are seeking experienced social workers, who have the professional potential and personal attributes that our families need, and who also want to be supported to flourish.
As a senior social worker choosing Southwark you will benefit from:
- Small teams with high managerial support - a lower ratio of workers to managers than most authorities. Regular group supervision, as well as monthly 1-1 supervision
- Access to further support and targeted specialist interventions from systemic practitioners and psychologists, embedded within the service
- Low caseloads (counted per child), below the national average, and administrative support, to help you spend more time with families
- An extensive range of excellent community and specialist services to support your work with families, in a borough committed to 'Keeping Families Strong' and a 'Fairer Future' for all.
- A competitive salary (£40,491 rising with annual increments to £47,274), good pension scheme and flexible working
- Annual leave starting at 28 days - rising to 36 days with continuous service
- Ongoing training and career development opportunities, including the Professional Qualification Scheme, through which you can apply to be sponsored for your choice of learning to support your individual needs and ambitions. We also offer the accredited Foundation Level in Systemic Practice for those who continue their career in Southwark, as well as training in restorative practices, secure base, and attachment or trauma informed practice.
- a wide range of other support and learning and development opportunities including training in Secure Base and Empathic Behaviour Management.
- Cycle to work or season-ticket loans, and further employee benefit schemes
We currently have a vacancy for senior social worker in our Special Guardian and Connected persons team.
For those qualified after 2012, we are ONLY accepting applications from those who have already completed their ASYE year.
Please contact Service Manager if you have questions or would like further information.
Closing Date: 16 December 2019
Interview/Assessment: 6 January 2020