Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the job
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual for this role of Mechanical Shovel/360 Material Handler Driver & Recycling Operative!
The role of Mechanical Shovel/360 Material Handler Driver & Recycling Operative will involve using plant and equipment including the mechanical shovel, 360 material handler, forklift or any new technology or machinery introduced to help deliver recycling services. You will be expected to inspect loads arriving at the site, operate the weighbridge, take payments via a card terminal and act as a keyholder for the site.
We are looking for three new operatives, two at our New Years Green Lane site and one at our Harlington Road Depot.
You will be responsible for maximising the diversion of waste from landfill and collecting the highest proportion for recycling. You will achieve this by directing users of the site to recycle their waste wherever possible by maximising access to site recycling facilities and providing a safe working environment for all staff and site users.
There will be times when you will need to act as a Bankman for site plant machinery as well as contractors and waste vehicles when required.
It will also be your responsibility to keep the site clean by sweeping and litter-picking the area.
About the person
You must have a clean UK driving licence and be prepared to work a rota which requires Monday to Sunday cover. Previous experience in operating similar plant, manual lifting and handling knowledge would be an excellent fit for this position.
You will be working with a range of stakeholders including colleagues (of all levels), residents, traders and service users. You will be responsible for your own health and safety at all times, and must ensure that safe working methods are maintained at all times. You will also be responsible for any plant used, and it is essential that thorough checks are completed, to ensure the cleanliness and safety of said plant.
Other important skills would include:
identification of waste types
You must be motivated to deliver results, and will be expected to take ownership of your personal development, as well as supporting the development of the service. We strive to ensure that we continuously improve our service, and we need you to support us in this.
The Mechanical Shovel/360 Material Handler Driver & Recycling Operative is a key role, and we are looking for somebody who can work flexible hours, as the service demands. The work is busy and has lots of variety, with a range of challenges - but you will also be rewarded by supporting London Borough of Hillingdon in maintaining a clean, safe environment for our residents.
(Please note for this vacancy you will need a full, current UK driving licence. You will also need to be physically able to undertake a range of duties including lifting and moving heavy and/or bulky objects)
If this is the type of career path you have been searching for, and you believe you meet our criteria (as outlined in the Person Specification), we look forward to receiving your application!
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For mid to senior level positions holiday entitlement is 33 days a year (plus bank holidays) and rise to a maximum of 36 days after 10 year's service.
- career breaks
- childcare schemes for working parents
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Additional Information continued
Disability Confident Employer
& Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy