Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the job
This is a part time 21.6 hour per week vacancy. The salary advertised will be pro-rata.
Hillingdon Music Hub delivers Whole Class, group and individual tuition to children across the second-largest London Borough. We are a thriving and expanding music hub, working as part of Hillingdon Council.
In 2016 we launched our new programme of First Access (whole class ensemble tuition) to schools across Hillingdon. In three years this has grown to cover 22 primary schools and expanded into the provision of curriculum music services. We are looking to further expand to get even more coverage of schools in the borough, especially in the South.
You are a qualified and/or experienced music teacher who understands the whole-class context, and can oversee a range of first access and curriculum projects across different genres that will excite the interest of schools, generate large-scale engagements of students, and prove sustainable in the long term.
You will run performance and music education projects, taking responsibility for budgets, school liaison and evaluation.
As a member of the Music Hub management team, you will manage a share of the Hub's sessional staff and may also coordinate the efforts of freelancers.
You will also plan and deliver events and concerts highlighting Whole Class activity.
The postholder will also create CPD materials for teachers to use in schools.
About the person
You are a teacher with hands-on experience of instrumental teaching with children, comfortable in multiple genres of music.
You are intimately familiar with the music curriculum. You will understand from experience how instrumental music works in schools.
You will also have the practical skills to administer and project manage music projects from needs assessment and identifying delivery partners all the way through to final delivery and evaluation, able to work unsupervised and using cloud-based documents and IT as an integral part of that.
The hours of the contract will be annualised across the year to respond to times of greater or lesser demand. Some working may be required during the school holidays, although most work will be focused in the term times.
An enhanced, child-workforce DBS check is essential, along with the ability to visit schools in person.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For mid to senior level positions holiday entitlement is 33 days a year (plus bank holidays) and rise to a maximum of 36 days after 10 year's service.
- career breaks
- childcare schemes for working parents
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses