This is an exciting new opportunity at West Lancashire Borough Council. The successful post holder will be responsible for keeping up to date with national waste strategy and policy, the drafting and development of key strategies and service plans associated to the services within the post holders responsibility, such as refuse and recycling, waste minimisation (reduce, reuse and recycle), fleet replacement and investment plan.
We're looking for someone to be a positive member of the Place & Communities Directorate and to represent the Council at relevant strategic and operational meetings. The Waste Services Manager will also support the Head of Environmental Services in advising the Director of Place and Communities and the Council on the effects of relevant new or draft legislation, codes of practice or other initiatives, publications or developments, ensuring that the Council and other interested parties are properly briefed and advised.
Purpose of role
- To ensure that the council fulfils its statutory duty as a waste collection authority
- To provide leadership, management, delivery and the continued development of an efficient and effective Waste Management service which discharges the councils statutory duty as a waste collection authority.
- To promote the Waste Management Service whilst continuing to engage and educate service users on how to reduce, reuse and recycle waste materials under the control of the local authority
- To continually review and improve the performance of the service with line managers, driving out inefficiencies through improved methods of working, equipment and the use of technology. Where needed, re-process engineering services to meet the needs of the communities and customers
- To ensure the economic delivery and growth of the commercial waste collection services offered to local businesses.