Ekaya is a BME housing association and its mission is “to offer good quality housing and support services primarily to black and ethnic minority (BME) women, their families and other groups with similar needs”. We own or manage over 400 homes in south London and provide housing and support services to our residents. We also run a successful day nursery as a subsidiary business with a “good” Ofsted rating.
Ekaya is looking to grow its business as a top performing housing association. As a recognised ‘Investor in People’ with Gold accreditation, Ekaya is a great place to work. The unique way we deliver services and offer everyone who works here a voice, means that your career with us will be very rewarding.
We are looking to recruit experienced, ambitious and eager Young People Support Officers to deliver a high quality service to young people based at our young people hostel, ensuring all performance measures are met or exceeded. We require persons who have proven experience of making a difference to people’s lives by working with and supporting our young people, aged between 18 and 24 who have been in the local authority care system. If this is you, then we want to hear from you!
4 X Young People Support Officers (1 Year Fixed Term Contract)
About the role
We are looking for enthusiastic and organised persons who thrive on new challenges, and who are self-motivated and great communicators. You will need to be able to respond to challenging and sometimes complex problems.
Based at Kabo House, Lambeth, you will support the provision of a service to 5 young people, aged between 16 and 24 who have been in the local authority care system. As these young people reach adult-hood, this service is designed to provide them with a safe home and access to support to allow them to gain the necessary practical life skills and knowledge to enable them, at the end of their placement with us, to be able to successfully live independently.
As a Young Person Support Officer, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clients settle into the scheme, understand the house rules, and health and safety.
- Meeting regularly with each young person, devising a support plan for each, which tracks the particular skills each person needs to acquire, including budgeting, cooking, healthy living, paying their rent, applying for training and education placements, accessing apprenticeships, applying for and holding down a job.
- Ensuring the building is safe and secure, carrying out health and safety checks, room inspections, testing and recording equipment installed and reporting any issues to Ekaya.
- Making sure clients are safe and having full awareness of our safeguarding responsibilities and what to do if there is a problem.
About the Service
The Kabo House Leaving Care Contract is a medium level support service where we provide support seven days a week between the hours of 9am and 8pm.The service is very client focussed and we ensure clients are involved in designing the service so it works for them. Staff will be expected to work on a rota system that includes evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A minimum of Level 3 in Health & Care or equivalent
- A good understanding of Housing Acts, Supported Accommodation Provision and Welfare benefit system
- At least two years’ experience of providing support and practical assistance to vulnerable young people within the semi-independent living framework
- Knowledge of Safeguarding legislation and Health & Safety issues in relation to supporting vulnerable people in Accommodation based service
- Experience of working with people with complex needs and behaviours that challenge the service
- A good understanding of steps required before clients can move-on to independent living
- Good communication skills and the ability to engage with, and respect the needs vulnerable people
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday, 29th November 2019 at 5.30 pm.
Interview dates for shortlisted applicants will be confirmed.
Ekaya Housing Association reserves the right to amend the closing date, and no further applications will be accepted once the advert is closed.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CVS ALONE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, AND WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY CANDIDATE REFERRALS FROM AGENCIES.
For an informal discussion please telephone Mr Obinna Opurum, Support Services Manager, on 0207 091 1800.
- An enhanced DBS check is required for the post
- Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of their eligibility to work in the UK
Our People Strategy & Benefits
Ekaya offers an excellent benefits package including:
- 25 days’ holiday plus public holidays (increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ continuous service)
- Health Support benefits
- 5% pension scheme, offering an opportunity to plan for your retirement
- 24hr access to an Employee Assistance Programme
- Celebration of birthday, if desired
- Employee recognition programme
- Ongoing investment in your training and personal development
- The chance to join our great team and play a key role in delivering a high-quality housing service to our residents
- Occupying an important role in a growing business which is financially strong and which has an ambitious growth agenda
- The opportunity to develop in an exciting, growing business, with IIP Gold Accreditation
Ekaya is a great place to work. The unique way we deliver services and offer everyone who works here a voice, means that your career with us will be rewarding.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Ekaya Housing Association is a diverse Association that respects differences in race, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, faith, background or personal circumstances – we welcome all applicants. We want everyone to feel valued and included at Ekaya and to be able to achieve their full potential. Ekaya is opposed to any form of unlawful discrimination and commits itself to the redress of any inequalities by taking positive action, where appropriate.