Reading Borough Council’s Parks Team is responsible for the grounds maintenance of Reading’s parks and gardens, allotments, cemeteries, highways verges, Council Housing estates and other public land. The Council also has a growing portfolio of commercial clients. We are currently seeking a skilled and experienced supervisor to join the team that oversees commercial contracts as well as grounds maintenance of public areas in Reading.
About the role
The job involves managing the day-to-day operations of grounds maintenance staff, securing high quality work, ensuring the health and safety of the team and the public, dealing with customer enquiries, and liaising with suppliers and contractors. The role involves rostered one-in-four weekend working and reactive 24 hour emergency call out.
This role is full-time, 37 hours per week,and include rostered weekend cover
You will hold an NVQ Level 3 Amenity Horticulture or equivalent qualification. You will be able to demonstrate extensive experience of estate maintenance and a sound knowledge of horticulture. Your experience in managing staff and in dealing with the public will be valuable. Knowledge of health & safety relating to the post is essential.
You will be responsible for the administration associated with the role, and will need to be computer literate.
You should be self-motivated, courteous with customers, a good team worker and willing to work outside in all weather conditions. You should hold a current driving licence.
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme - round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- 'Your Reading Passport' scheme - competitive rates for local gyms
- Shopping vouchers and money off deals
- Staff Club - organises events such as pub quizzes and theatre trips
- Eye care - help towards an eye test and glasses, if you use a computer at work
- Relocation scheme offering up to £8,000 towards the cost of relocating permanently to Reading (only for approved posts
For further information, contact Andy Gillespie in the Parks Team on 0118 937 2724.