Lewes District and Eastbourne Borough Councils
Service Area: Homes First, Property Services
Base: 1 Grove Road, Eastbourne and Southover House, Lewes
Title: Clerk of Works
Grade: Band E
Salary: £28785 to £36876
Hours: 37 hours a week
The Homes First Property Services team deliver asset investment and responsive maintenance services for tenants and leaseholders of Lewes District and Eastbourne Borough Councils.
Homes First manages a combined property portfolio of over 8,500 homes and will invest almost £20M per annum in maintenance, service contracts, major repairs and improvements. Our service is also growing as the Councils’ new investment companies develop new housing covering a range of different tenures and accommodation types. Our team is growing as we strive to provide more contract management services in-house.
You will protect the Councils’ interests at all times by monitoring and reporting on major repairs contracts, improvement projects and development schemes. The portfolio of projects amount to approx. £10 million per year and consists of a wide range of schemes such as: roofs, external decorations, lift replacements, kitchen & bathroom replacements, boiler and heating repairs. With 8,500 properties, this role offers a diverse range of properties from rural clusters to urban estates in Eastbourne and Lewes. Your key responsibilities will be:
- Act as a first point of contact for our tenants and leaseholders
- Support our growing team of Project Surveyors
- Support the development of our asset management database and associated IT systems
- Ensure the clients requirements (set out in project drawings, prelims, specifications) are understood by the construction team and the desired outcomes are achieved.
- Undertake regular scheduled and un-scheduled site inspections at different stages of the programme
- Take measurements and samples to ensure that the workmanship and materials deployed meet the quality and design standards
- Utilise your knowledge of health and safety and CDM regulations to maintain safety standards.
- Investigate all accidents and health and safety related incidents
- Issue weekly progress reports on each project
- Notify the contract administrator if designs, specification, workmanship or management fail to achieve expected standards. Monitor progress against contract periods and extensions of time.
- Attend pre contract, progress and snagging meetings
- Check and approve project health and safety files
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- Recognised building / technical qualification
- Excellent knowledge and experience of health and safety regulations including CDM and Asbestos regulations.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office
- Excellent building pathology knowledge including designs for traditional and non traditional housing
- Building and planning regulation knowledge
- Knowledge of construction methods, materials and standards, contract law incl. JCT and other forms of contract.