Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
Information and Communications Technology plays a crucial role in delivering and supporting the huge range of services provided by the London Borough of Hillingdon to our Residents.
The London Borough of Hillingdon is transforming its ICT structure and introducing Agile Working Practices to advance technology and digital services. This transformation is taking place whilst effectively maintaining the on-going delivery of high quality ICT services and digital capabilities enabling us to continue providing excellent services to our Residents.
These are exciting times for ICT in Hillingdon and we are looking to fill a number of senior posts that can lead and embed these changes.
About the job
This is a key role in the design, programming, integration, testing, supporting, documentation and maintenance of new or amended software systems within agreed development and security standards and processes; the senior software engineer will help define standards and processes and translate requirements into workable programming code, and maintain and develop programmes for use in the business.
The Senior Software Engineer will also be required to provide all aspects of second line support for a number of third party (COTS) applications as required by the Solutions Development Manager.
About the person
The following demonstrable experience and skills are essential:
- Significant experience in developing software solutions using different software languages or technologies.
- Significant knowledge and experience supporting complex business critical COTS (Commercial off the Shelf) Applications.
The following demonstrable experience and skills are highly desirable:
- Significant experience developing Application integrations preferably using APIs such as SOAP or RESTful.
- Significant experience supporting Social Care systems or document management systems in the public sector.
In addition, you will have the ability to work at a senior technical level, mentoring colleagues to raise technical skills and maintain standards throughout the team. You will have strong and effective communication skills and the ability to set the standard for clear and effective documentation and best practices.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Disability Confident Employer & Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy