Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the job
We are inviting applications from dedicated, passionate and highly motivated Environmental Health Officers with unflagging enthusiasm who can work on their own initiative, and are ready to adapt to future ways of working. We are a busy service ready to welcome you to our Food, Health and Safety Team. You will work on inland food law enforcement and health and safety regulation as part of a Food and Safety Regulation Service which also has the responsibility for import controls carried out at London Heathrow Airport.
You will be located in the bustling town of Uxbridge on the fringes of West London with tube and bus connections, shopping and recreational facilities all nearby. Further nearby transport links include the M25 M40 and M4.
Your duties will include enforcement work relating to food hygiene, food standards, health and safety and infectious disease control. You will have the opportunity to broaden your experience including dealing with approved premises, manufacturing premises as well as event safety. We also have an on farm dairy! You will be offered training at Heathrow Airport which will enable you to assist, as required with the work of the Imported Foods Team.
The work will be challenging and you will need to be highly organised and proactive in overseeing/dealing with a busy caseload. It is important that you are comfortable working under pressure, including making decisions. You will need excellent communication skills and must work well within a team. You must be proficient using IT systems.
You must be prepared to work outside normal office hours including participating on a stand by Environmental Health Rota for which overtime is currently payable.
Within the post of Principal Officer you will be responsible for the effective operation of a specialist professional function including planning new initiatives within that function, the supervision of field staff as well as the development and implementation of certain internal policies and procedures. You will deal with complex investigations.
About the person
You must hold a degree or equivalent in Environmental Health and a Certificate of Registration from the Environmental Health Registration Board.
For the role of Food Safety Officer you must possess a higher certificate in Food Control including the Food Standards module awarded by The Environmental Health Officer Registration Board or Scottish equivalent.
You will have excellent interpersonal skills as well as a sound judgement and knowledge of relevant legislation. You will have a flexible and adaptable approach to your work and capacity to absorb new knowledge quickly and efficiently. You will work independently with the minimum of supervision and must have a full driving license.
If you would like to have a brief conversation with the recruiting manager prior to applying, please contact Oliver Darius: email@example.com or 01895 277475.We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- Some consideration will be given to flexible working, including mobile working.
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- childcare vouchers in school summer holidays
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses