Job Title: Operative – Street Scene
Post Number: 000573
Salary: Grade 3, £19,945 - £22,462 (pro rata for hours worked)
Working Hours: 32.75 hours during the Winter Period and 41.25 hours during the Summer Period
Contract: 3 Months Fixed Term Contract
The Heart of a Town Lies in its People” and at Stevenage Borough Council our people are at the heart of what we do.
We are looking for a hardworking, conscientious person to work as an Assistant Arborist within our Street Scene & Amenities department.
Key role requirements will include:
- Ability to undertake a wide range of duties including tree surgery, horticulture and/or fine turf maintenance and/or cemetery maintenance
- Understanding of risk assessment and ensuring safe working practices
- Good working knowledge of use of appropriate tools and machinery and their safe operation
- Full drivers licence and willingness to drive tractors and vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes.
Ideally, we would be looking for someone to deliver on the following:
- Be responsible for carrying out all required duties to a high standard
- To immediately report all defect, losses, damage and accidents to the team leader or designated person
- To suggest improvements and changes
- To maintain good working relationships with members of the public and other staff and contractors within the area of work
The successful candidate will be able to operate a chainsaw and assist in a wide range of tree surgery/arboriculture operations. As the generic job is that of a Street Scene Operative, the successful candidate would also be familiar with and willing to undertake grass/hedge cutting and other aspects of grounds maintenance.
They must be used to working in an outdoor environment and capable of working in a physically demanding job.
The ability to communicate effectively with staff, members of the public and other council departments is essential.
On the job training will be provided for the operation of any mechanical equipment, where appropriate.
For an application pack and to apply online, please visit www.stevenage.gov.uk/vacancies
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Cristian Pinta on 01438 218888.
Applications must be returned by 25 October 2019.
Please note that Stevenage Borough Council cannot accept CV’s, all applications must be made on the Council’s standard application form which can be found at the above link.
Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, volunteers and recruitment candidates to share this commitment. SBC shall take all reasonable steps to employ staff who are safe to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults. For posts identified with regular contact with these groups applicants will be required to undertake a Value Based Interview. The council supports the legislative requirements for employing and maintaining safer staff and the guidance specified by Hertfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board
Stevenage Borough Council is committed to Equal Opportunities for All. For further information please click here.