Head of Waste Disposal
Ref no: 2683 - 3320
Salary: Band 12 - £43,661 - £47,566 p.a.
37 hours per week
What is the role?
Portsmouth City Council is looking for a waste professional who can help us deliver improved and sustainable waste services. As a unitary authority, Portsmouth is responsible for both the collection and disposal of waste from approximately 90,000 households.
Waste is really changing - with residents keen to be able to recycle more, and the government considering some big changes too. Portsmouth wants to deliver waste services fit for the world we live in today and beyond.
This role will lead on waste disposal services on behalf of the City Council ensuring that they complement collection services, deliver value for money and help reduce waste and improve recycling opportunities. It is a new role that will be dedicated to achieving improvement in waste services.
Who is the person?
You will be a waste professional with a strong project management background as we have a number of significant waste initiatives to deliver. This role will manage the Recycling and Disposal Officer and also work closely with the Waste Management team to 'enable recycling and remove waste on collection day'.
You will have experience of managing waste contracts and good knowledge about the different types of waste infrastructure that we have in Portsmouth and across Hampshire.
You will have a good understanding of the issues and opportunities facing local authorities in regard to waste management and an appreciation of where Portsmouth fits into that.
The right candidate will:
- Have extensive experience in the field of waste management - disposal and/or collection
- Be educated to degree level in waste related field
- Have extensive project management experience from concept through to delivery
- Be able to demonstrate good understanding of data and using data to inform change
- Have an understanding of systems thinking methodology
- Have experience of using Microsoft office applications and other databases
- Be able to demonstrate relevant experience of delivering projects on time and within budget
- Have good technical knowledge and understanding of waste infrastructure - to include but not limited to: ERF, MRF, HWRC and closed Landfill)
- Be able to demonstrate good knowledge of relevant waste legislation
- Have experience of working with members to deliver their objectives
- Have experience of working with other local authorities, contractors and other partners to deliver changes and improvements to waste services
- Be able to drive and have the use of a car
- Have the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English
Closing date: 18th October 2019
Applications received after this may not be considered
Interview process: 25th October 2019
If you have any questions or would like an informal discussion about this opportunity, please call Colette Hill (Assistant Director of Neighbourhoods, Housing, Neighbourhood and Building Services) on 023 9283 4872.