Shape your future career with Reading Borough Council. Professionally speaking, we have great training and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and your career. You can also look forward to an open plan, modern working environment, as well as an ambitious team of colleagues who work together to make a positive difference for our clients and communities. Personally too, you’ll find a great future in Reading. Here’s the smart living choice that combines many of the benefits of the big city experience with an outstanding quality of life.
About the role
The Voids Team is looking for a Supervisor, to work as part of a busy team to assist our Contracts Manager in delivering a full Voids maintenance service to our housing stock, with an aspiration to deliver upper quartile performance. You will have responsibility for the management of our various trade teams, predominately Carpentry, Electrical, General building repairs, Roofing, Plastering, Plumbing, Painting and Sub-contractors. This will involve managing their productivity pay scheme, the allocation of their work and carrying out site post inspections to ensure standards are met.
This is an exceptional opportunity; as such we are looking for people with:
- Excellent communication skills in sometimes difficult circumstances, both face-to-face and over the phone, with both customers and colleagues,
- Remain focused in delivering a high quality service (measured through a range of KPIS).
- You will need to demonstrate a commercial understanding and have strong team management skills and the ability to manage poor performance.
- We manage the service using IT systems and handheld technology in the field so experience and knowledge of working with similar systems will be beneficial in this role.
- Trade qualification in Plumbing, Carpentry, Electrical or a minimum of 5 year’s trade experience is required.
- Social housing experience would be advantageous as would a professional Technical qualifications (eg CIH, CIOB, as would knowledge of CDM 2015)
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme - round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- 'Your Reading Passport' scheme - competitive rates for local gyms
- Shopping vouchers and money off deals
For further information, please contact Rod Welford 01189 373044