Horsham district is a vibrant place to live, work and visit. It is home to a number of historic towns and villages, surrounded by beautiful countryside. An hour from London and with Gatwick airport on our doorstep we are also a great place to do business, within reach of destinations all over the world.
This makes Horsham an exciting and challenging place plan for the future, with the need to maintain the rural and historic environment, whilst enabling businesses to grow and ensuring that all our residents to have an affordable place to live. This provides the basis for a number of exciting projects including the commencement of the Local Plan review.
An opportunity has arisen in the Strategic Planning team. Asa Senior Planning Officer you will work in the Strategic Planning Team to help prepare Local Plan Review documentation and provide advice and guidance on strategic planning issues both within the Council and to members of the public. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking surveys, site appraisals and evidence base studies to inform the identification of potential housing, employment and Gypsy and Traveller allocations
- Monitoring the delivery of our housing numbers and other local plan policies
- Preparing necessary policy documentation
- Providing policy advice to Development Management colleagues, Members and developers
- Represent the Council at appeals, hearings, public enquiries and Examinations on a range of policy matters, including housing land supply
- Work with adjoining authorities, parishes , developers and the wider community on a range of Planning policy issues
To succeed as a Senior Planning Officer you must have competence in a variety of IT systems and packages, plus the ability to work as part of a team as well as on your own initiative. You must also have:
- A relevant degree or equivalent and a recognised planning qualification
- Eligibility for RTPI Membership
- Good numerical skills and attention to detail
- Good time management and organisation skills.
- High level communication and presentation skills particularly concerning complex or controversial issues.
Our work/life balance is family friendly. What’s more, our IT system makes work as easy in the home or in the field as at the office so there’s plenty of flexibility about where and when you operate. We are happy to consider candidates who wish to work on a full time basis. Likewise, we are also happy to consider candidates who wish to work part-time, or who would be interested in job sharing.