South Oxfordshire District Council and Vale of White Horse District Council are forward thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme. They have modern open plan offices and smart working practices and the technology to support mobile working.
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £35,077 to £39,983 per annum
Benefits: a generous annual leave entitlement, career average pension scheme, flexible annualised hours working arrangement and more.
About the role:
This role will involve providing internal audit services to South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils, with the aim of supporting the councils in managing an effective business and achieving their objectives.
Internal audit assists the councils by evaluating the adequacy of governance, risk management, controls and use of resources through its planned and unplanned audit work and recommending improvements where necessary.
- Undertake planned audits using a risk-based audit approach.
- Assess audit control environments by interviewing, challenging and verifying information obtained.
- Draw conclusions, document and report findings, recommend and agree actions with management.
- Provide professional and technical audit advice and guidance on financial / non-financial audit and control matters.
- Review and advise on policies, procedures, guidance notes and regulations.
- Undertake unplanned audits as required e.g. special investigations.
- Assist the Internal Audit Manager with ad-hoc tasks to ensure delivery of the internal audit service.
- Provide advice in relation to risks and controls to council staff.
- Promote awareness of internal audit across the councils.
- Relevant audit, risk management and / or corporate governance experience.
- Sound understanding of risk based internal audit techniques and methodologies.
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to assess risks in financial and operational processes.
- Practised in identifying control weaknesses and recommending suitable actions both verbally and in written reports.
- Experience of working in a complex and / or challenging environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft office software, e.g. Word and Excel.
Desired experience / qualifications:
- Holds a recognised professional audit qualification (e.g. CIA, ACA), or is actively studying towards one.
- Sound knowledge of auditing principles and standards as set out in the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards (PSIAS).
- Experience of working in the public sector.
- Practical experience of financial management systems.
- Knowledge of legislation and good practice across district council services.
You may have experience of the following: Auditor, Internal Auditor, Compliance Manager, Governance Manager, Risk Manager, Quality Auditor, Regulatory Auditor, Regulatory, Governance, CIA, ACA, Public Sector, etc.