Join us here at Reading Borough Council, and you can look forward to a rewarding new role as part of a friendly and supportive team. We work together, helping each other to make lives better for people in our communities. If you’d like to be part of our growing future, we can offer excellent training and development, not to mention a range of great benefits. So be part of an organisation that will genuinely value you and your contribution to our success. Get in touch now.
About the role
Reading Borough Council’s Parks Team is responsible for the grounds maintenance of Reading’s public open spaces. We currently have opportunities for an experienced tractor driver to join our busy in-house team maintaining a variety of areas including sports pitches, allotment sites, parks, gardens, schools and housing estates. The role also requires the successful candidate to carry out a range of other grounds duties, including cover for other grounds maintenance teams during peak times.
You will have experience of and hold the relevant licences for the operation of tractors and their attachments, as well as a wide range of other plant and grounds maintenance equipment e.g. excavators, mowers, hedge cutters and strimmers.
Knowledge of health & safety relating to the post is essential. You will be responsible for some basic administration within your daily work and should have a basic knowledge of machinery maintenance.
You should be self-motivated, courteous with customers, a good team worker and willing to work outside in all weather conditions. You should have a Horticultural qualification to NVQ Level 2 and hold a current driving license to include the towing of trailers.
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme - round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
For further information, contact Chris Capper or Carolyn Jenkins in the Parks Team on 0118 9372724.