Shape your future career with Reading Borough Council. Professionally speaking, we have great training and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and your career. You can also look forward to an open plan, modern working environment, as well as an ambitious team of colleagues who work together to make a positive difference for our clients and communities. Personally too, you’ll find a great future in Reading. Here’s the smart living choice that combines many of the benefits of the big city experience with an outstanding quality of life.
About the role
The Reactive Repairs Team is looking for a Contract Manager, to work as part of a busy team to assist our Repairs and Operations Manager in delivering a full reactive repairs service to our housing stock, with an aspiration to deliver upper quartile performance. You will have responsibility for the management of our various trade teams, predominately Carpentry, Electrical, General building repairs, Roofing and Plastering Teams. This will involve managing their productivity pay scheme, the allocation of their work and carrying out site post inspections to ensure standards are met.
This is an exceptional opportunity; as such we are looking for people with:
- Excellent communication skills in sometimes difficult circumstances, both face-to-face and over the phone, with both customers and colleagues,
- Remain focused in delivering a high quality service (measured through a range of KPIS).
- You will need to demonstrate a commercial understanding and have strong team management skills and the ability to manage poor performance.
- We manage the service using IT systems and handheld technology in the field so experience and knowledge of working with similar systems will be beneficial in this role.
- Trade qualification in Plumbing, Carpentry, Electrical or a minimum of 10 year’s trade experience is required.
- Social housing experience would be advantageous as would a professional Technical qualifications (eg CIH, CIOB, as would knowledge of CDM 2015)
There may be opportunities for professional training in the future.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
Local Government Pension Scheme
24 days holiday plus public holidays (rising to 32 after service)
A wide range of flexible working opportunities
Discounted Child Care (onsite nursery)
Cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loans
A range of local discounts
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
Please be aware that for the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.
Closing date: 23rd September 2019