Lancaster is at the heart of one of the fastest growing economic regions in the UK. The district is ambitious and is at the forefront of innovation and growth. It boasts a rich portfolio of assets stretching out across the stunning coastal landscape of Morecambe Bay and two areas of outstanding natural beauty, with unique historic landmarks such as Lancaster Castle.
Given our highly ambitious plans to enhance the economy, the environment, neighbourhoods and the wellbeing of our communities, there’s never been a better or more exciting time to join us in this important role within our Waste and Recycling Department at the City Council. This is a senior role within the Waste Management Team and a permanent post.
The Council is committed to providing a clean green and safe environment for all those who live, work and visit the district and undertake activities that reduces the levels of waste generated and increase recycling.
As the Waste Collection Authority the City Council collects waste and recyclables from every household in the district as well as many businesses. We are seeking a competent and professional Operations Manager who will lead on, plan and control the day to day operations.
This is a dynamic and fast paced role. Primarily this role will focus on maintaining lean operations to optimise efficient service delivery, so it is essential that you are confident and able to handle challenging situations. You need to be decisive, be able to manage competing priorities and at times implement significant changes to ensure collections are completed by the end of each day.
You will have ambitions to positively promote the delivery of Council services and will;
- have exceptional management and strong leadership and communication skills,
- the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse team to deliver operational services in the most efficient and customer driven way,
- lead and manage a small team of Supervisors and a large frontline operational workforce, you will work closely with the support team to manage delivery of services,
- provide evidence of managing logistics within an operation management environment, preferably waste management. Experience of transport regulations is essential as is the ability to plan complex round routes by the most efficient method, use of technology such as route optimisation software is an advantage. You should also have significant experience of managing the complexities of delivering waste collection services across a large authority area,
- have experience of writing Refuse Collection vehicle specifications and management of ongoing maintenance,
- monitor, review and recommend improvements driven by information using leading indicators, council policies, leadership skills and core values and competencies,
- have experience managing health and safety and embedding a safe working culture in an operational environment,
- have a thorough knowledge of waste management legislation and collection processes,
- have experience of recruitment, appraisals, investigations and disciplinary hearings and other managerial duties,
- have experience of managing budgets and preparing and writing policy documents.
It is important you have high standards of delivery and customer service, and passionate about recycling and reducing carbon emissions. Lancaster City Council unanimously declared a climate emergency and will therefore work towards reducing carbon emissions to net-zero by 2030. As part of this role, you will be expected to participate and work towards reducing carbon emissions. As well as being determined you are resilient and flexible and will add value to the team.
A full current UK driving licence is essential to the role as the post holder will be required to drive throughout the district to manage and monitor a widely dispersed workforce.
The hours of work for this position is 37 hours per week, working 5 out of 7 including evenings, weekends and bank holidays. This role is based at White Lund Depot.
The Council currently operates a Flexible Working Hours Scheme. Some out of hours work may be required as the business demands. You will be required to work early mornings, some late evenings and some weekends on a rota.
Excellent benefits include: A Local Government Pension Scheme (the Council makes a 15.5% contribution). Discounted gym membership and discount on days out, activities and retail.
Interview date: Thursday, 26 & Friday, 27 September 2019