An exciting, full-time opportunity exists for an experienced and motivated traffic engineering professional to join the Highways & Transportation Service at Wokingham Borough Council. This vacancy is for the role of Senior Specialist (Grade 10) in the Traffic Management, Parking & Road Safety team where you will be expected to provide specialist expertise, working closely with the Team Leader to ensure the safe and efficient mobility of the borough’s residents, businesses and visitors, as well as dealing with issues such as congestion, air quality and intelligent transport systems.
Specific duties will include;
• drafting of Traffic Regulation Orders and related statutory notices under relevant sections of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and processing of traffic calming notices under relevant highways legislation;
• providing professional advice to colleagues, Councillors and Senior Officers on technical and professional matters relating to Traffic Order Making;
• deal with correspondence from Councillors, MPs and the public in respect of various traffic order matters and related parking issues;
• liaise with colleagues across the Council and with external consultants and contractors to obtain professional support in respect of various traffic management, parking and road safety scheme design issues;
• work closely with the Parking Services Manager with regard to amendments to regulations in support of Civil Parking Enforcement;
• prepare evidential reports on matters within the scope of the service for presentation at Public Inquiries, Council and Elected Member meetings and to attend as required meetings and working groups; and
• keep abreast of legislative changes relating to traffic and highways.
• experience of working in a local authority and/or consultancy context;
• experience of preparing traffic management, parking and/or road safety schemes and traffic regulation orders;
• familiarity with AutoCAD for design of small engineering schemes, traffic signs and markings;
• Driving licence and use of own car
Located in Wokingham, this is an exciting time to join us as the Council delivers its ambitious transport infrastructure projects to support new housing as well as town centre regeneration. The Highways & Transportation Service has undergone significant change in the last twelve months following the Council’s transition to the 21st Century Council model and also the creation of the new Wokingham Highways Alliance between WBC, our consultant and our new contractor. Wokingham Borough Council offers a range of employee benefits including generous annual leave, flexible working opportunities and an excellent pension. Closing date for applications is Sunday 15 September with interviews expected between 30 September and 4 October.
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
To apply, please follow the link to the online application form. CVs are not accepted.
Alternatively, please call 0118 974 6116 (answerphone outside office hours) quoting ref: 711481
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.