This is a superb opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated professional to join the dynamic Highways and Transportation Service at Wokingham Borough Council.
This vacancy is effectively the role of Principal Transport Planner and as part of the Transport Planning Team you would be expected to provide specialist input and utilise our consultants (writing briefs and managing the consultant) as required. The role covers a variety of transport planning activities which include (but are not limited to):
• Developing the Local Transport Plan and overseeing its delivery, taking ownership of some of the “daughter” documents
• Developing strategic level interventions including use of strategic modelling and working with spatial planning teams to deliver mitigation for developments and improvements to the network
• Air Quality and Carbon reduction initiatives such as modal shift and ULEV projects including working with the My Journey team on soft measures
• Working with public transport providers to meet social need and help reduce the borough carbon footprint
• Assisting with identification of schemes, ensuring value for money (e.g. by overseeing WebTAG compliant business case production) and ensuring their delivery
• Supporting the Team in day to day activities and providing cover for any element of Transport Planning
A key concern for the borough is our Climate Change Emergency; this, along with congestion and air quality are areas which applicants should be well versed in and able to respond to enquiries regarding these issues in particular. In addition, a good working knowledge of strategic modelling and experience in successfully bidding for scheme funding are desirable.
Situated in the heart of the thriving Thames Valley this is an exciting time to join as the council is delivering substantial infrastructure projects and new housing as well as town centre regeneration. The Highways and Transportation Service has undergone significant change in the last twelve months following a move to the borough’s 21st Century Council model and also the creation of a new Highways Alliance between WBC, our consultants and our new contractor. Wokingham Borough Council offers a range of employee benefits including generous annual leave, flexible working opportunities and an excellent pension.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 15 September with interviews expected between 30 September and 4 October.
For more information please contact Martin Heath on Martin.Heath@wokingham.gov.uk
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
To apply, please follow the link to the online application form. CVs are not accepted.
Alternatively, please call 0118 974 6116 (answerphone outside office hours) quoting ref: 711479
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.