GRADE E - £22,911 - £26,317 per year - plus standby allowance
37 hours per week
The council is seeking to appoint an experienced mechanic to undertake maintenance, servicing and repairs to the municipal fleet based at the council’s depot in Merlin Way, Ilkeston.
You will have experience in:
- Servicing, maintenance and repairs of HGV vehicles such as refuse collection vehicles and road sweepers.
- Maintenance and repair of Light/Medium Commercial vehicles.
- Maintenance and repair of a range of different petrol and diesel engine vehicles.
The job also involves:
- Working on HGV’s as agricultural type vehicles and plant such as tractors and mowers.
- Carrying out inspections on hackney carriage and private hire vehicles to ensure these vehicles continue to meet the council’s taxi licensing requirements.
- Attending vehicle breakdowns and where possible rectify defects at roadside.
It is essential that you have:
- A clean driving licence including HGV Category C1.
- A City and Guilds NVQ Level 3 (Light/Heavy Vehicle Maintenance) or demonstrable equivalent work experience in a similar role.
- Experience of vehicle mechanics and fault diagnoses/rectification.
- An understanding of health and safety requirements in a vehicle workshop setting.
You will also be required to participate in an out of hour’s standby service on a rota basis when the fleet is operational outside normal working hours and at weekends. An additional stand-by allowance is payable when on-call.
Benefits for this post include flexible working arrangements to ensure work life balance can be maintained, 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays rising to 32 days after 5 years’ service, local government salary-related pension, free parking, discounted memberships to local leisure centres, cycle to work discount scheme and employee assistance program.
If you would like an informal discussion regarding this opportunity please call Steve Draper, Senior Mechanic on 0115 850 8341.
Closing date for applications is Monday, 26 August 2019
If you feel you can make the difference please apply online at https://jobs.derbyshire.gov.uk/transporttraffic-operational-services-mechanic/19017.job
Alternatively, an application form and job description is available from Personnel, Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, DE7 5RP, telephone: 0115 931 6049 (24 hr voicemail), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Council is positive about disabled people and those who meet the essential shortlisting requirements will be guaranteed an interview.